[lfs-support] Nobody has received the fatal error missing gmp.h in coreutils-8.14

jasonpsage at jegas.com jasonpsage at jegas.com
Wed Jan 4 05:57:51 PST 2012

>>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM,  <jasonpsage at jegas.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I posted earlier, and I don't expect speedy response but I was hoping
>>> someone would say yay or Nay.
>>>
>>> compiling: coreutils-8.14 I get:
>>>
>>> expr.c:54:18 fatal error : gmp.h: no such file or directory
>>>

>>> Sounds kind of serious to me... has anyone see this before? Or is it me,
>>> my linux host or something?
>>>
>>> Thank You
>>> Jason
>>>

>> My guess would be that you did something wrong with the installation
>> of GCC. There are special instructions for GMP, MPFR and MPC packages,
>> are you did that correctly? The commands should be executed from
>> inside the GCC source directory.
>>
>> Matijn
>> --
>>
>More generally, any time there is an error related to a missing file
>or directory, begin by identifying the source of that file or
>directory. In this case a header file is missing. Missing headers
>usually indicate a missing dependency, a library or some such. Missing
>can mean two things: either the thing-that-is-missing is completely
>absent or the thing-that-wants-it is looking in the wrong place.
>
>So once the source is identified, an appropriate interpretation of
>"missing" can be ... traced and stuff can ... do ... yawn ... find the
>... environment ... mmm ...
>
>~rick

I want to thank all of you who chimed in to offer advice on this problem
I'm having.

I've been turning the book into a series of scripts (due to multiple
iterations of attempts, it made sense for me and is helping.

Further, I can zero in on specific problems easier and I can make sure I
don't miss ERRATA steps etc.

Thank you VERY VERY much - this is really a great and smart mailing
list! I'm glad to be a part of it even if I don't suceed simply because
you are all fellow gear heads that really seem enthusiastic like myself
and unlike myself - are really good at this!

I feel I know Linux and Unix pretty darn good but this endeavor has made
me feel like I don't know much at all - and the experience is
definitately making me a better scripter and helping understand areas in
Linux/Unix I never thought I needed before but I'm glad I'm learning!

Thank you again for speaking up! I've been taking notes and I'm going to
go through all ther mentioned parts and give it MORE EFFORT! I really
want to succeed in this! (Just woke after crashing after another 24+
hour stint - yeah - I'm trying hard!)

Thank You! YOU ALL ROCK!

--Jason P Sage