[lfs-support] Error while compiling GCC 4.6.1 Pass 1

Franck Chuiton franck at chuiton.fr
Wed Jan 4 17:22:26 PST 2012

Hi the list !

I am new here so let me first introduce myself : Franck, 39, from
Martinique, French island in the Carribean (French is my native language
so pardon my english...). I work in the ITs for the French Tax
administration and I am (I hope I am anyway) a farly good linux user.
Been using Linux for a few years now and I really like it.

So, in order to be an even better linux user or admin, I decided to try
and build my own LFS on an Acer Aspire 1641WLMI laptop.
As a host system, I use a recent live Crunchbang on a usb key (with
multisystem).
I scripted a few things in order, at each boot, to create a new user,
set the environment right, mount the partitions (/, /boot and /home
in /mnt/LFS), install a few packages that are missing in the distro
(bison, m4 and texinfo) and launch the check_version.sh script. This one
tells me that everything is ok.

As a matter of fact, I compiled binutils without any problems.

But it went wrong with gcc-4.6.1 :
gcc   -g -O2 -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_DIRECTORY_STRUCTURE  -W -Wall
-Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-format-attribute -pedantic -Wno-long-long -Wno-variadic-macros
-Wno-overlength-strings -Wold-style-definition -Wc++-compat
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE  -o build/gengtype \
            build/gengtype.o build/errors.o build/gengtype-lex.o
build/gengtype-parse.o build/gengtype-state.o
build/version.o ../build-i686-pc-linux-gnu/libiberty/libiberty.a
/bin/bash ../../gcc-4.6.1/gcc/../move-if-change tmp-gi.list
gtyp-input.list
echo timestamp > s-gtyp-input
build/gengtype  \
                    -S ../../gcc-4.6.1/gcc -I gtyp-input.list -w
gtype.state
build/gengtype  \
                    -r gtype.state
make[2]: *** [s-gtype] Killed
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/LFS/sources/gcc-build/gcc'
make[1]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/LFS/sources/gcc-build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I searched the internet, the mailing list archive, the FAQ but nothing
really relevant came out...
And I am sorry but I am not used to gcc's complaining lingo... Do you
see any clue (apart from "Error 2" that I spotted too !) that indicates
you where the problem comes from ?

Do you need to see the check_version.sh output ?
Do you want me to be more specific on a certain matter ?

Thanks in advance for the help !
Looking forward to reading you !
--
Franck Chuiton <franck at chuiton.fr>