[lfs-support] LFS - On Boot - Read Only File System

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 18:46:32 PST 2012

jasonpsage at jegas.com wrote:
> Virtual Box->Slackware 13.87 Host
>
> After I compile the entire system, forget Grub - it seems unreliable to
> me - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (using preexisting LILO in
> Slackware - booting seems much smoother) But in either case, my LFS
> boots to a READ ONLY file system.

Yes, it's supposed to do that.  BTW, lilo is quite fragile.  If a fsck
changes the sectors, then you can't boot and there is no command line
backup.  It's also much harder to recover from typos.

> I've read that one of the boot scripts (which all installed ok to my
> knowledge) is supposed to do a fsck on the partition then unmount the
> drive and remount it read/write.

/etc/init.d/checkfs
/etc/init.d/mountfs

> Further, I expected to see a bunch od devices in the /dev folder and all
> I have is console and null.

That's populated by udev: /etc/init.d/udev.  If it doesn't work, then
you probably have a configuration issue.

> Also, the fstab has <yyy> or something versus /dev/sda3 or something
> too. Same with the swap setting.

Yes, you are supposed to set that to the value on your system.  We can't
guess what you are going to use.

> I'm a bit perplexed over this matter too. I'm wondering how my
> symlink in 4.2 caused my perl commands needing changing too.
> something is awry and I'm not sure what. I won't give up!

You didn't set the permissions properly or you are building as the wrong
user.

   -- Bruce