[lfs-support] Final GCC Compile Weirdness - 1 Time? No, 2 nd Time? Perfect!

Matijn Woudt tijnema at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 12:03:44 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM,  <jasonpsage at jegas.com> wrote:
> From: Matijn Woudt <tijnema at gmail.com>
>>> So - Should I be worried? Does anyone have a clue how that could happen?
>>> Does Anyone want to see the Script
>>> that I run TWICE (and it has all the clean up etc and source code
>>> un-tarring)?
>>>
>>> Any help is always appreciated! Thank You...
>>>
>>> --Jason
>>
>>Did you read section 4.5 "About SBUs"?[1]. It says that average
>>compile time is measured depending on how long it took you to compile
>>the very first package. GCC in chapter 6 (6.17) says: "Approximate
>>build time: 47 SBU", so if your binutils package took 10 minutes, your
>>GCC compilation would take about 47*10 = 470 minutes, almost 8 hours.
>>
>>Matijn
>
> Um, yeah, been through the book numerous times now - wrote in in this
> original thread lol.
> MY worry is that I compile gcc this final go around, it fails. I clean
> up the directories
> and do it again... and it works. Time waise as you point out... fast CPU
> or not - IT TERRIBLE
> and makes a grown man want to cry... or at least grumble lol :)

If you're having trouble compiling it, then you should post errors you
got. If everything went OK the second time (including the test suite),
then there's probably nothing to worry about.

> Stay Cool Matijn
>
> P.S. I'm really close to another "boot" and I have high hopes it will
> work halfway decent!
> How is your LFS system going? You have one built yet? How'd that go? Did
> you help with the book or something too?

 I have built LFS a few times, 6.1, 6.3, 6.4 and 6.7 to be exactly.
Haven't built 7.0 because I don't have time to manage all stuff by
myself now. Packages are updating way too fast, so I went back to
Ubuntu. Though, I might start LFS soon again, I probably have to build
a linux system for a embedded ARM system, and I think LFS will work
too (with cross compiler ofcourse).
If you need any help, feel free to ask!

Matijn