[lfs-support] LFS 7.0 - No Devices in /dev on boot up - Kernel then shuts off PC

jasonpsage at jegas.com jasonpsage at jegas.com
Mon Jan 9 21:07:26 PST 2012

>I suggested it to someone, but I'm fairly sure wasn't Bruce! I got
>it from Andy (probably back in October).

Yeah you're right - I just saw his name in either same thread or another
on same pages and got my wires crossed.

>The DEVTMPFS was, for me, a workaround where '/' was mounted but
>none of the other filesystems (particularly, my separate /home)
>existed because of non-present device nodes (bad kernel config - I'd
>left in the legacy CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED).

I looked if this was my problem - and I don't believe it is. Bummer - a
simple KErnel Config Switch as a fix would be welcome.

>Without knowing which bootscript failed - can you login, or does it
>shutdown when you press enter ?

While still in an 80x25 character mode, it's hard to tell what exactly
went wrong as it shoots up the screen.
The good news is many things seem to work... but I THINK this about the
/dev/ no being able to be populated
as it can't find my eth0 NIC card (That msg I do see for certain) It
just goes by so fast, and when I'm on a part where it waits for me to
press enter before it shutsdown.... it basically says err, can't
recover, I'm gonna shut down.. as all the good info has scrolled up.

>It seems you have started userspace (i.e. init runs the bootscripts),

I didn't know the kernel did that quite "yet" but I saw things that made
me think it was reading them boot scripts too... you know better then me
this area surely - and I think you're RIGHT.

>so perhaps try init=/bin/bash and then step through the scripts in order (rcS.d first).
>  ĸen

This sound like EXACTLY what I need to do but I don't have any idea at
all WHERE to do what you said.

I'll google things like "stepping through cyberspace" I mean
"UserSpace", Diagnosing the kernel etc. until I find something that
helps me fully grasp this POWER-USER trick (training wheels for a
bicycle in the host OS?)

Watch it work from the CLI - that'd be cool :)

--Jason