[lfs-support] LFS - 5.29 - perl-5.14.2 - possible errata

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 9 23:12:41 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 04:19 -0700, jasonpsage at jegas.com wrote:
> But my REAL puzzle is the PERL thing I'm addressing here happens pretty
> early in the big picture, and AFTER a very global chown -R lfs /tools
> and chown -R lfs /sources

If copying a file to /tools/bin gives permission errors when running as
the lfs user, there are two obvious possibilities to consider.

1. The /tools/bin directory isn't writable by the lfs user, which
probably means it's owned by root. However, we don't explicitly create
that directory in the book - it's created by the "make install" command
for binutils, since that's the first package to install anything to that
directory. If that command has been run by root instead of lfs, it would
explain the problem you're seeing.

2. You're copying it to somewhere other than /tools/bin. This is a big
part of why the LFS build is run as a restricted user - not as root.
Because the lfs user can only write to the two directories it needs to
write to, you get permissions errors if a mistyped command points to
somewhere else instead. Which in turn means you don't accidentally break
the host system by overwriting something important.

Simon.