[lfs-support] LFS - 5.29 - perl-5.14.2 - possible errata

jasonpsage at jegas.com jasonpsage at jegas.com
Tue Jan 10 00:56:59 PST 2012

>>On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 04:19 -0700, jasonpsage at jegas.com wrote:
>> But my REAL puzzle is the PERL thing I'm addressing here happens pretty
>> early in the big picture, and AFTER a very global chown -R lfs /tools
>> and chown -R lfs /sources

>If copying a file to /tools/bin gives permission errors when running as
>the lfs user, there are two obvious possibilities to consider.
>
>1. The /tools/bin directory isn't writable by the lfs user, which
>probably means it's owned by root. However, we don't explicitly create
>that directory in the book - it's created by the "make install" command
>for binutils, since that's the first package to install anything to that
>directory. If that command has been run by root instead of lfs, it would
>explain the problem you're seeing.

This was very cool to be told, as I'm going to watch and make sure I
don't a mistake here.

>2. You're copying it to somewhere other than /tools/bin. This is a big
>part of why the LFS build is run as a restricted user - not as root.
>Because the lfs user can only write to the two directories it needs to
>write to, you get permissions errors if a mistyped command points to
>somewhere else instead. Which in turn means you don't accidentally break
>the host system by overwriting something important.
>
>Simon.

I Agree - I really learned alot about this, the purpose, how cool chroot
is and more during this.
So I know I've been asking a lot of questions of everyone, and Barry and
stuff... but HOW THIS IS DONE,
seems to be the purpose of the book - to teach etc. I'm not blowing
smoke when I say I really LEARNED
a lot in this area and I'm quite happy about it.

Additionally - I have done things to the host when I FORGOT to su - lfs
and chroot etc. So far they have been
harmless - like - making new var/log file entries... wHOOPs ...
relatively harmless and good WARNING to be all the more careful :)

--Jason