[lfs-support] LFS 7.0 - No Devices in /dev on boot up - Kernel then shuts off PC

jasonpsage at jegas.com jasonpsage at jegas.com
Tue Jan 10 01:20:12 PST 2012

>> I'll keep hammering, but any ideas are welcome.
>>
>> --Jason
>>

> Without knowing which bootscript failed - can you login, or does it
>shutdown when you press enter ? It seems you have started userspace
>(i.e. init runs the bootscripts), so perhaps try init=/bin/bash and
>then step through the scripts in order (rcS.d first).
>
>ĸen

THANK YOU!!!! I'M IN! I'M TECHNICALLY AN LFS USER NOW!!!!

I didn't understand exactly how the booting works... I know how to WRITE
my own bootsector on up... but not how Linux does it. Only That "Those
scripts don't touch" inittab does something and run levels.

Now - with you pointing me in the right direction, a ton of useless
googling aside from this page that "Did the Trick" to help be understand
the STEPS clearly

http://luv.asn.au/overheads/linux-startup.html

I started to understand it but I still didn't understand how to try the
scripts in the host like you suggested. So What I finally did was use a
simple program I wrote called readline that just says [Press Enter] and
lets you type whatever until you press enter. I use it in my LFS scripts
to pause etc.

Well, I opend the "previous untouchable" RC file and tossed readline all
over it ... and when I booted .. GUESS WHAT? I was able to step through
the actual boot process one command at a time... and I saw the offending
error for the first time... and bot this is embarrassing....

/etc/rc.f/rcS.d/S10udev Line 78 /sbin/udevd - No Such File

I looked in my scripts that build LFS, and realized I forgot to UNTAR
UDEV!!!!!

NExt I was locked out, so I ran "passwd" on the host while chrooted, and
I can now log in and I AM SO FREAKING HAPPY!!!!!!

Now I want to make my network card work - it says there isn't an eth0...
so the MARCHING continues but boy do I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER about it!

Thank you for all your help!   And Thank you to everyone else who helped
me along the way...

I Guess I should look at Chapter 9 again and see how to get "counted" as
a legitimate LFS user!

--Jason