[lfs-support] Problem on compiling and installing Binutils-2.21.1a

Firerat firer4t at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 10 02:15:04 PST 2012

On Jan 10, 2012 9:48 AM, "Uthayanan" <suthayanan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sandip,
>
> I followed the book.. During the compilation i didnt get any errors..
Then during the installation I got the above warning and system
> got out of the installation mode soon after the errors.
> Do we have different options in compilation ?
>
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM, sandip sitapara <s13884neo at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> There is no error. Just messages that there is nothing to be installed.
I am not sure but testsuit shouldn't be install in system it is just to
check the correct installation and dependencies to run that software
correctly.Also you have to look the compilation options while building the
same.

>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Uthayanan <suthayanan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Group,
>>>
>>> I get following error when I try to install the binutils. I am new to
lfs and may be this one may be a silly question to ask:) . Please help me
on this

>>> make[3]: Entering directory
`/mnt/lfs/Sources/binutils-build/libiberty/testsuite'
>>> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
>>> make[3]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/lfs/Sources/binutils-build/libiberty/testsuite'
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/Sources/binutils-build/libiberty'
>>> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `install-target'.
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/Sources/binutils-build'
>>> lfsuthayan at ubuntu:/mnt/lfs/Sources/binutils-build$
>>> lfsuthayan at ubuntu:/mnt/lfs/Sources/binutils-build$
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> s uthay
>>>
>>> --

> Regards,
> s uthay
>
> --

The make install simply runs make install in each directory, the testsuite
doesn't have a install target...it is just stating it That is perfectly
normal

Warnings can usually be ignored, unless you are working with the code and
want to resolve them

Regards 'options in compilation'
for the moment follow the book exactly  *do not* deviate from the book, you
will only get lost.

When you come across something that reads
<EDITME<xxx>EDITME>
or the like, then you need to modify for your needs, e.g. timezone in
glibc, papersize in groff, but CEOs those bridges when you get to them :)