[lfs-support] Problem on compiling and installing Binutils-2.21.1a

Uthayanan suthayanan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 03:27:03 PST 2012

This time I got loads of "no " . I think I should slow little bit down and
do the whole process again..

lfsuthayan at ubuntu:~$ cd /mnt/lfs/Sources/binutils-2.21.1
lfsuthayan at ubuntu:/mnt/lfs/Sources/binutils-2.21.1$
../binutils-2.21.1/configure \
>     --target=$LFS_TGT --prefix=/tools \
>     --disable-nls --disable-werror
checking target system type... i686-lfs-linux-gnu
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for gnatbind... no
checking for gnatmake... no
checking whether compiler driver understands Ada... no
checking how to compare bootstrapped objects... cmp --ignore-initial=16
$$f1 $$f2
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for version 0.10 (or later revision) of PPL... no
checking for default BUILD_CONFIG...
checking for bison... no
checking for byacc... no
checking for yacc... no
checking for bison... no
checking for gm4... no
checking for gnum4... no
checking for m4... no
checking for flex... no
checking for lex... no
checking for flex... no
checking for makeinfo... no
checking for expect... no
checking for runtest... no
checking for ar... ar
checking for as... as
checking for dlltool... no
checking for ld... ld
checking for lipo... no
checking for nm... nm
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for windres... no
checking for windmc... no
checking for objcopy... objcopy
checking for objdump... objdump
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-cc... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-c++... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-g++... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-cxx... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gxx... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gcj... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gfortran... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-ar... i686-lfs-linux-gnu-ar
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-as... i686-lfs-linux-gnu-as
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-dlltool... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-ld... i686-lfs-linux-gnu-ld
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-lipo... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-nm... i686-lfs-linux-gnu-nm
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-objdump... i686-lfs-linux-gnu-objdump
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib... i686-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-strip... i686-lfs-linux-gnu-strip
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-windres... no
checking for i686-lfs-linux-gnu-windmc... no
checking where to find the target ar... just compiled
checking where to find the target as... just compiled
checking where to find the target cc... pre-installed
checking where to find the target c++... pre-installed
checking where to find the target c++ for libstdc++... pre-installed
checking where to find the target dlltool... just compiled
checking where to find the target gcc... pre-installed
checking where to find the target gcj... pre-installed
checking where to find the target gfortran... pre-installed
checking where to find the target ld... just compiled
checking where to find the target lipo... pre-installed
checking where to find the target nm... just compiled
checking where to find the target objdump... just compiled
checking where to find the target ranlib... just compiled
checking where to find the target strip... just compiled
checking where to find the target windres... just compiled
checking where to find the target windmc... just compiled
checking whether -fkeep-inline-functions is supported... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Firerat <firer4t at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Let's have a small time out and think about this....
>
> make failed as it found no Makefile, this is created by configure.
>
> Binutils is a little 'odd' in you build it outside of the source dir
>
> in sources you should have the tarball, binutils-x.y.z/ and binutils-build
>
> I suspect you have untared binutils, then created ../binutils-build
> Easy mistake to make....
>
> The book assumes you are in the packages source dir
> Untar binutils, cd into the created dir and then follow the book
> On Jan 10, 2012 10:45 AM, "Uthayanan" <suthayanan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Firerat,
>>
>> lfsuthayan at ubuntu:/$ make -j1
>> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
>>
>> I also tried in following way
>>
>> lfsuthayan at ubuntu:/$ export MAKEFLAGS='-j 1'
>> lfsuthayan at ubuntu:/$ make -j1
>> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
>>
>> But earlier, Since My laptop is core to duo i set it to two and i didnt
>> get any sort of error.

>>> binutils-build is only 508K

>>> create my lfs partition.. is there any thing to do with that ?

>>> errors.. Then during the installation I got the above warning and system

>>> installed. I am not sure but testsuit shouldn't be install in system it is
>>> just to check the correct installation and dependencies to run that
>>> software correctly.Also you have to look the compilation options while
>>> building the same.

>>> new to lfs and may be this one may be a silly question to ask:) . Please
>>> help me on this

>>> `/mnt/lfs/Sources/binutils-build/libiberty/testsuite'
>>> `/mnt/lfs/Sources/binutils-build/libiberty/testsuite'
>>> `/mnt/lfs/Sources/binutils-build/libiberty'

>>> testsuite doesn't have a install target...it is just stating it That is
>>> perfectly normal

>>> and want to resolve them

>>> book, you will only get lost.

>>> glibc, papersize in groff, but CEOs those bridges when you get to them :)

>>> Ok, well the copy'n'paste you did doesn't detail any errors
>>>
>>> Do
>>>     make -j1
>>>
>>> Why -j1 ?
>>> If you set MAKEFLAGS="-j<n>" to take advantage of multiple cores the
>>> error can be hidden higher up in the compiler spew,,, -j1 will make it
>>> easier to read
>>>
>>> As binutils is the first package it may well be worth going back and
>>> starting again, it will be something simple, probably a missing package on
>>> your host system
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Regards,