[lfs-support] LFS 7.0 - No Devices in /dev on boot up - Kernel then shuts off PC

jasonpsage at jegas.com jasonpsage at jegas.com
Tue Jan 10 10:22:06 PST 2012

>>>The tg3 driver is inside the kernel source, you don't need an RPM for that.

>> I Saw some Broadcom "drivers" in the Kernel Make Menu config area, and
>> that didn't work.

>The driver should be called "Broadcom Tigon3 support", or you can set
>it manually with CONFIG_TIGON3=y, IIRC.

Yes Sir - Checked it off. Error I'd see during boot up was no device
eth0 when
the OS was trying to use the "eth0" device I configured per the LFS 7.0
Book.

>> Do you think its a matter of me running some Loadmodule command in a
>> script to make it work then?
>>
>> Note, in the kernel I checked it with the ASTERISK which is supposed to
>> compile it into the kernel
>> versus being a loadable module.

>If you have built it in the kernel, then there's nothing you have to
>do, it should work out of the box. Do you see any (error) messages at
>boot/with dmesg?
>
>Matijn

I was thinking along the same lines. The devices all appear in /dev
except eth0
Note also, Slackware (my Host) DOES use the card but there isn't a eth0
in the "dev"
either. Something like an Alias of some sort might be in play? I don't
know.

As for checking for an error message with dmesg, I'm not in a position
now to look.
I booted back to Win7, fired up VirtualBOX with Slackware in it, tried
to copy the OS
there - but the boot was locking up and WAY slow - with errors I think
about directory
permissions - so I decided to start a fresh compile of the OS from
NOTHING to try my
eth0 luck there for a bit. I'd check now - but it's already compiling
like mad and will
be awhile.

Thank You for taking an interest.

This page had the most I could find for installing the driver we're
discussing:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-broadcom-ethernet-card-driver-installation/

But I don't have the compiled "tgc" driver at my disposal - just a
download with
and RPM, some source code and (weak) instructions for SUSE and RedHat.

If I wanted easy - I'd of used one of those Instant-Distro-via-a-Click
web sites though.

--Jason