[lfs-support] LFS - 5.29 - perl-5.14.2 - possible errata

Qrux qrux.qed at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 00:03:32 PST 2012

On Jan 10, 2012, at 12:56 AM, <jasonpsage at jegas.com> <jasonpsage at jegas.com> wrote:

>>> On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 04:19 -0700, jasonpsage at jegas.com wrote:
>>> But my REAL puzzle is the PERL thing I'm addressing here happens pretty
>>> early in the big picture, and AFTER a very global chown -R lfs /tools
>>> and chown -R lfs /sources

I'm building LFS-7.0, and I'm at the first Perl build:

	http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter05/perl.html

I think there's an error here.  I've been reading through the recent Perl-related scripts, and I'm not sure it's covered.

Basically, the patch fails for me because <perl-source>/hints/linux.sh is read-only.  Adding a line before the patch:

	chmod u+w hints/linux.sh
	patch -Np1 -i ../perl-5.14.2-libc-1.patch

fixes the issue for me.  (Everything else is fine...The symlink & related issues covered in the thread is just more BGFB stuff.)

* * *

On the off-chance that this is Jason's error...A very early chown/chmod may not solve anything, since the perms issue appears only *AFTER* you unpack the Perl tarball.