[lfs-support] LFS 7.0 - No Devices in /dev on boot up - Kernel then shuts off PC

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jan 11 02:04:31 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 02:20 -0700, jasonpsage at jegas.com wrote:
> Well, I opend the "previous untouchable" RC file and tossed readline all
> over it ... and when I booted .. GUESS WHAT? I was able to step through
> the actual boot process one command at a time... and I saw the offending
> error for the first time... and bot this is embarrassing....
>
> /etc/rc.f/rcS.d/S10udev Line 78 /sbin/udevd - No Such File
>
> I looked in my scripts that build LFS, and realized I forgot to UNTAR
> UDEV!!!!!

Next lesson - when doing scripted builds, error handling is important.
You want the entire build to stop immediately when something goes wrong,
instead of trying to continue, making the original error hard to find.

Personally, my preferred means of dealing with that is to simply add
"set -e" near the top of my scripts. The has the effect that if any
command run by the script exits with a non-zero status (i.e fails), the
script aborts immediately.

Simon.