[lfs-support] Final GCC Compile Weirdness - 1 Time? No, 2 nd Time? Perfect!

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jan 11 02:15:52 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 10:11 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Simon Geard wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 08:57 -0700, jasonpsage at jegas.com wrote:
> >> Now, I wouldn't care that much except even running on a DEDICATED 32bit
> >> Linux (Slackware 13.37) with MAKEFLAGS set to EIGHT to use all CORES...
> >> it takes a while... So running the procedure twice is time
> >> consuming.. We're talking hours on a new i7 DELL XPS Studio (Quad Core
> >> with hyper-threading - its like having EIGHT CPU)
> >
> > Is 'hours' an exaggeration, or is that really what you're seeing? On a
> > modern machine like that, the gcc build should be something like five
> > minutes...
>
> Well 5 minutes is pretty quick.  I have:
>
> Chapter 5 [gcc-pass1]  8 minutes and 22 seconds
> Chapter 5 [gcc-pass2] 11 minutes and 37 seconds
> Chapter 6 [gcc ]      78 minutes and 35 seconds
>
> Using only 1 core for consistent timing.

Yes, but that's using a single core, which I'd never be doing on a
machine like the one described - running -j8 sounds perfectly
reasonable.

However, it occurs to me that when I said 5 minutes, that would have
excluded tests, since my automated builds skip them. Can't remember how
effectively those can be parallelized, but I'd still not expect even the
Chapter 6 gcc build to take more than 20 minutes...

Simon.