[lfs-support] Q: Diskless boot and initramfs final mount using LFS

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 09:40:21 PST 2012

Li, David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am totally new to LFS but very interested to see how I can use it for my requirements.
>
> I 'll need to custom build a Linux distribution that eventually has to meet requirements:
>

> 1. Smaller than 200MB (kernel + intramfs image files).

You'll have to delete some things, but that's possible.

> 2. Be able to support KVM-based virtualization (Redhat).

Isn't that a function of the kernel?  I don't know if you need extra
programs for that or not.

> 3. Can be pxebooted on a x86_64 architecture

I don't see why not.  AFAIK, pxe just transfers files (bitstreams).

> 4. Can mount the initramfs as its final root file system (no disk, no NFS).

You would have to rewrite the boot scripts.  Note that LFS doesn't
directly support any initramfs, so you are on your own there.

   -- Bruce