[lfs-support] Q: Diskless boot and initramfs final mount using LFS

Firerat firer4t at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 11 10:32:43 PST 2012

On Jan 11, 2012 5:22 PM, "Li, David" <LiD at cloudshield.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am totally new to LFS but very interested to see how I can use it for
my requirements.

> I ‘ll need to custom build a Linux distribution that eventually has to
meet requirements:

> 1.       Smaller than 200MB (kernel + intramfs image files).

Embeded lfs (see CLFS ) may be more suited to your needs
Been a while since I read that ,I think it details things like busybox to
keep the size down

> 2.       Be able to support KVM-based virtualization (Redhat).

part of the kernel

> 3.       Can be pxebooted on a x86_64 architecture

doubt LFS will be a constraint
your Nic will need to support it
You will need a server to serve the boot images
> 4.       Can mount the initramfs as its final root file system (no disk,
no NFS).

Kernel has initramfs, and as far as I remember scripts to create them

> Is this something doable using LFS?

In conclusion
Yes and No
As it stands LFS will probably be too large for your needs , as mentioned
CLFS may help with that

The PXE is irrelevant, unless you are building an LFS to act as the server

Initramfs, read the kernel docs