[lfs-support] Problem on compiling and installing Binutils-2.21.1a

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 11 12:10:02 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 09:07:47AM -0800, Qrux wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2012, at 3:58 PM, Andrew Benton wrote:
>
> > Fix this. Glibc does not like mawk. Use gawk.
> > Also, can you please stop top posting and trim your replies to the
> > relevant content?
>
> Building binutils (pass 3?):
>
> 	http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/binutils.html
>
> It's hard to tell if my observations are related to the previous binutils posts from the excessively long quoting...But, I've run into issues with both the compilation and the testing.  Specifically,
>
> 	make tooldir=/usr
>
> fails (looks like subdirs without Makefiles, or something like that):
>
> config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
> config.status: executing depfiles commands
> config.status: executing libtool commands
> config.status: executing default-1 commands
> config.status: executing bfd_stdint.h commands
> config.status: executing default commands
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build/bfd/po'
> make[3]: Entering directory `/sources/binutils-build/bfd/po'
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `info'.
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build/bfd/po'
> make[3]: Entering directory `/sources/binutils-build/bfd'
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `info-am'.
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build/bfd'
> make[2]: *** [info-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build/bfd'
> make[1]: *** [all-bfd] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Even if this is acceptable, it's rather disconcerting.  Could a patch be made to avoid descending into bfd, etc?

 It isn't acceptable.  I've never seen anything like this.  The
report of 'Error 1' without an actual error message makes me wonder
if you caught stdout in a file but didn't catch stderr ?

 Apart from that, please make sure that you delete any build
directory as well as the extracted source after you have
installed each package.  So, in this case, please delete the
binutils-build and binutils-2.21.1a directories before you try
again.

 Did you fail to install texinfo in chapter 5 ?  A quick test for
that is to try running 'info' or 'info libc'.

ĸen