[lfs-support] LILO and GRUB - LILO I can make work, GRUB often leaves me Grubby

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 13:02:30 PST 2012

Ken Moffat wrote:

>  Going to grub2 was somewhat painful.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but if you use a separate boot
partition and specify it in fstab for each /, it's really quite easy in LFS:

1. Place the kernel in /boot
2. Edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg and add

menuentry "Descriptive text"
{
     linux /kernel-filename root=/dev/sda<whatever> ro
}

3. Reboot

There are a lot of gotchas when the user wants to do something more
difficult like use a serial terminal, pxe boot, use a 3TB drive, etc.

Basically I don't see a need for the boot loader to go into graphical
mode when the user only sees it for maybe 5 seconds.  There isn't really
a requirement for a mouse when only a couple of arrow down/up keystrokes
and a return are needed (if not just using the default).

My biggest gripe is not GRUB itself, but the fact that some distros
think they own grub.cfg and will wipe out what you have there.

Remember that the boot loader really only does two things: load a file
from a location (disk, network, etc) into memory and start executing
that file it just loaded.

   -- Bruce