[lfs-support] Still fighting with Network Madness...

jasonpsage at jegas.com jasonpsage at jegas.com
Wed Jan 11 15:20:00 PST 2012

Hello Folks,

I'm still trying to get my nic card to work. We've established the
driver is in the kernel, (Broadcom 57788, known as tg3 by linux). I've
run lspci while the host is running to establish its there.

In page 7.2.1 of the LFS 7.0 book, there is a script that you are
supposed to run. It doesn't say if you should run it on the host, after
you boot up or not but I've been running it once chroot'd and my
/mnt/lfs/dev has been populated via a bind.

It does make an entry in the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
file for my card and uses eth0,
it even has a comment above it displaying a PCI device ID and in parens
(tg3)

THIS IS PROBABLY GOOD I THINK

I do not know where to go from here. Bruce explained there might be a
file in /sys/ folder, but I don't know what to do with it if I find id.

The init scripts during boot say "trying to bring up interface eth0"
than I'm WARNED eth0 doesn't exist.

I get the feeling that this is one of those areas that just works for
people, and I'm admittedly frustrated.

Additionally, to "Evade this issue" when I do a full build in VirtualBox
using just default Kernel config,
I get a kernel panic about can't find init (And I checked the boot
loader and ftab to make sure the settings were right for the boot drive)

I was so hoping to be deciding what Window Manager I wanted the most by
now :(

I've received help from many of you, but nothing yet has helped me solve
this just yet, athough I know more about the subject now... I'm still
feeling stumped.

--Jason