[lfs-support] Still fighting with Network Madness...

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 11 15:46:57 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 04:20:00PM -0700, jasonpsage at jegas.com wrote:

> In page 7.2.1 of the LFS 7.0 book, there is a script that you are
> supposed to run. It doesn't say if you should run it on the host, after
> you boot up or not but I've been running it once chroot'd and my
> /mnt/lfs/dev has been populated via a bind.
>
> It does make an entry in the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> file for my card and uses eth0,
> it even has a comment above it displaying a PCI device ID and in parens
> (tg3)
>
> THIS IS PROBABLY GOOD I THINK

 If you have multiple ethernet devices, then fixing the names is
useful.  For a single network device, as the book says, it is
optional.  I believe that running it in chroot is the correct
thing to do - otherwise we would have put a note there.

 For real hardware you need to look at the host's dmesg to see what
it said, and compare it to what your new lfs kernel reported.
(Virtual machines probably work very differently).  You might also
need to ensure that the driver and any fixes is indeed upstream in
the kernel, rather than relying on distro patches.  Similarly, if
your host is running a newer kernel than the one you built, then
it's possible you might need to build the newer kernel (e.g. if new
PCI IDs were added to an existing driver - although those seem to
get backported to stable kernels).

ĸen