[lfs-support] Problem on compiling and installing Binutils-2.21.1a

Qrux qrux.qed at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 09:15:39 PST 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 09:07:47AM -0800, Qrux wrote:
>> make[3]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build/bfd'
>> make[2]: *** [info-recursive] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build/bfd'
>> make[1]: *** [all-bfd] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build'
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> Even if this is acceptable, it's rather disconcerting.  Could a patch be made to avoid descending into bfd, etc?
>
> It isn't acceptable.  I've never seen anything like this.  The
> report of 'Error 1' without an actual error message makes me wonder
> if you caught stdout in a file but didn't catch stderr ?

No--this was straight cut-and-paste from console output.  But, I'm running with "-j 4", so maybe output is garbled...

> ...Did you fail to install texinfo in chapter 5 ?  A quick test for
> that is to try running 'info' or 'info libc'.

Ken, thanks for that idea; it was prescient.  Texinfo opened an interesting can of worms...

I'd been writing a wrapper script which untars each package and does some boilerplate with setup and clean-up.  I was using this in my script:

	tar mxf <package>

It turns out, this blows up the texinfo 'make install'.  The compile works.  But the install fails when using 'm' with tar.  For the curious, I wanted to avoid "extracting file modified time" (otherwise known as --touch), because I was experimenting with timestamp-based "package management".  When I compiled by hand, I was just auto-piloting the "normal" invocation:

	tar xf <package>

which worked perfectly.  I'm not sure what the root cause of the issue with the 'm' switch is...and how it would mess up an install in the way it did.

* * *

Regarding the earlier issue, I'm still working on getting back to the post-chroot binutils build--now that I've resolved the untar issue with texinfo).

Thanks again for the idea.