[lfs-support] Still fighting with Network Madness...

alupu at verizon.net alupu at verizon.net
Thu Jan 12 11:13:35 PST 2012

Hi Jason,

I'm detecting a slight note of desperation in your voice, so before you do anything
drastic, maybe you would like to spend a few minutes with my trouble-shooting
procedure.

In a similar (NOT exact) situation it worked for me simply, quickly, reliably and

100% (that's one-hundred, NOT ninety-nine).

The procedure is based on the (well known) fact that some Broadcom drivers
are very finicky about the order of their loading.

If there are certain "no-no" drivers (modules) loaded BEFORE these "sensitive"

fellas they just load but QUIETLY refuse to work.
Hope your driver, "tg3", is among them (like my particular driver was in my

case) and, with that knowledge, manipulating the loading order can get you

out of your predicament.

PRELIMS

P1. Boot the system always directly to command line (runlevel 3), NOT graphics
(level 5) in a, say, xterm window. So as not to complicate (or even gum up)
things unnecessarily.
You may have to hit '/etc/inittab' to make this happen, "id:3:initdefault", etc.

P2. For this procedure 'lsmod' (and its friends) and 'ifconfig' are your
friends and only friends.

P3. The object of the game is to see "eth0" (or something similar) in the
output of 'ifconfig'. IF that happens, you'll be on easy street (and on your
own) from there.

PROCEDURE

1. Boot up the system and immediately do
  lsmod

2. Look at the modules (drivers) loaded BEFORE yours. They will show up BELOW
yours (tg3) in the listing.
If you see one that looks "suspicious" (that's an art/intuition. Look for
Broadcam modules, especially),

3. Unload the varmint ('rmmod', 'modprobe -r', things like that).

4. Unload and REload tg3 (check out results with another 'lsmod')

5. If you see "eth0" on 'ifconfig' now you're done.
Go out, buy yourself a lemonade, come back and fill out the papers for your
well deserved cigar.

6. If you don't, go back to step 2 above.

7. If you have exhausted all humanly possible attempts, you're left with two
alternatives:

7.1. Give up on this procedure.

7.2. Take a good look at your kernel:
  make menuconfig

Look for drivers (again, Broadcom especially) built into the kernel <*>

instead of as modules <M>. Make as many as you can as modules

(at least for this test if not forever, like I do. That's the school of thought I
belong to; at the very least you can manipulate them better on loading and
Udev will load only the strictly necessary.
Make sure you don't change any one vital for a sane boot-up, like "sd" :)

Recompile and go to step 1.

Keeping my fingers crossed,

-- Alex