[lfs-support] coreutils (lfs-7.0, section 6.23)

Qrux qrux.qed at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:40:43 PST 2012

On Jan 13, 2012, at 11:44 AM, Ken Moffat wrote:

>> Speaking of errata, I've found a couple of packages that break when running the tests in parallel:
>>
>> 	* gawk
>> 	* flex
>>
>> Executing the 'make check' with '-j 1' allows the tests to pass.  I suppose this would be covered in the somewhat obscure note buried in 4.5 "About SBUs" where it discusses $MAKEFLAGS:
>>
> Dunno, and for the moment I don't care.  I prefer to build with -j1
> so that the logs are in order *when* things break (my builds are
> development, I expect breakage, either from altering my own scripts,
> or from updates to packages).  Maybe someone else knows which
> packages are like this ?

You may not care, but I'm sure other people would enjoy the time savings of knowing which packages can be safely built and tested with -j4, and which cannot be.  I've identified the two that don't work, and everything else seems to pass their tests when built with -j4.

(Aside from gcc & glibc, with the "known expected failures" I discussed in an earlier post.)

Everyone wants to save time--especially when it's just spent compiling things.  I spent the time figuring it out, and I think this info is useful and could be posted to the errata page. Even better would be a MAKEFLAGS-preserving trap around the 'make check' statements in the book, but errata seems sufficient.  Seems like that's the place for this kind of info (e.g., coreutils time-parsing issue breaking tests).  I'm happy to do it myself, if I'm able to...