[lfs-support] Use VM to do LFS

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 16 02:15:33 PST 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 16:03 -0800, Li, David wrote:
> I am new to LFS and am very interested in using a virtual machine (e.g
> virtual box vm). Is this something documented in the book already.
> Does this mean it's doable?

As far as building LFS is concerned, a VM is no different to any other
system you might run on, and if you're comfortable with setting up a VM,
it's a good way to do things.

One caution, though. A system that needs to boot both inside and outside
of the VM needs to support two sets of hardware, not just one. The
common mistake is to have something that boots in the VM, but then fails
when booting off the real hardware.

This isn't a problem, as such. It's just a matter of selecting the right
drivers (usually the disk controller) during the kernel build, and easy
enough to fix if you don't get it right the first time.

Simon.