[lfs-support] Uncertainty about fstab...

David Cox djcox.at at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 20:29:14 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> David Cox wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've just finished lfs-dev with no problems to report.  Just created the
> > fstab and am poised to reboot, but I'm unclear on some things.
> >
> > How is fstab expected to map to root?  The directions specify sda2
> > mount-point be /, but all compiled binaries exist under /mnt/lfs.
> >
> > Sorry about the basic nature of the question, but what am I not seeing?
>
> What partition did you use when you did Chapter 2 (specifically 2.3)?
> Use that.
>
>   -- Bruce

sda2.  Specifically, the system was set up the following way:

root at debian:/mnt/lfs# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Device      Boot   Start       End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1          12       96358+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2   *          13        2502    20000925   83  Linux
/dev/sda3            2503        2751     2000092+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4            2752       30394   222042397+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5            2752        6486    30001356   83  Linux
/dev/sda6            6487       30394   192040978+  83  Linux

...and fstab,

# Begin /etc/fstab

# file system  mount-point  type   options         dump  fsck
#                                                        order

/dev/sda1      /boot      ext3            defaults        1     2
/dev/sda2      /            ext3            defaults        1     1
/dev/sda3      swap      swap            pri=1           0     0
/dev/sda5      /opt         ext3           defaults        1     0
/dev/sda6      /home     ext3            defaults        1     0
proc             /proc       proc            defaults        0     0
sysfs            /sys        sysfs          defaults        0     0
devpts          /dev/pts    devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0
tmpfs          /run          tmpfs          defaults        0     0
# End /etc/fstab

OK, I think I see my disconnect-- the new system is available via the
/tools --> /mnt/lfs/tools link. So in my case, since I intend to use a
separate /boot partition, the newly-compiled kernel needs to be copied from
/mnt/lfs/boot to /boot and I should be good to go?