[lfs-support] Uncertainty about fstab...

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 20:46:56 PST 2012

David Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> David Cox wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've just finished lfs-dev with no problems to report.  Just created the
>>> fstab and am poised to reboot, but I'm unclear on some things.
>>>
>>> How is fstab expected to map to root?  The directions specify sda2
>>> mount-point be /, but all compiled binaries exist under /mnt/lfs.
>>>
>>> Sorry about the basic nature of the question, but what am I not seeing?
>> What partition did you use when you did Chapter 2 (specifically 2.3)?
>> Use that.
>>
>>   -- Bruce
>> --
>>

> sda2.  Specifically, the system was set up the following way:
>

> root at debian:/mnt/lfs# fdisk -l /dev/sda
>
> Device      Boot   Start       End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1               1          12       96358+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda2   *          13        2502    20000925   83  Linux
> /dev/sda3            2503        2751     2000092+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/sda4            2752       30394   222042397+   5  Extended
> /dev/sda5            2752        6486    30001356   83  Linux
> /dev/sda6            6487       30394   192040978+  83  Linux
>

> ...and fstab,
>

> # Begin /etc/fstab
>
> # file system  mount-point  type   options         dump  fsck
> #                                                        order
>
> /dev/sda1      /boot      ext3            defaults        1     2
> /dev/sda2      /            ext3            defaults        1     1
> /dev/sda3      swap      swap            pri=1           0     0
> /dev/sda5      /opt         ext3           defaults        1     0
> /dev/sda6      /home     ext3            defaults        1     0
> proc             /proc       proc            defaults        0     0
> sysfs            /sys        sysfs          defaults        0     0
> devpts          /dev/pts    devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0
> tmpfs          /run          tmpfs          defaults        0     0
> # End /etc/fstab
>

> OK, I think I see my disconnect-- the new system is available via the
> /tools --> /mnt/lfs/tools link. So in my case, since I intend to use a
> separate /boot partition, the newly-compiled kernel needs to be copied from
> /mnt/lfs/boot to /boot and I should be good to go?

Yes, that looks good.  Within chroot, you can mount /dev/sda1 as /boot
and then install GRUB and copy the kernel, config, and System map to the
mounted /boot.   Remember that in grub.cfg the line will be:

linux /linux-kernel-filename root=/dev/sda ro

We are in the process of making some changes in this area for svn but
you will need the new udev and bootscripts for that.

   -- Bruce