[lfs-support] configure, make and make install as who

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 05:30:09 PST 2012

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 03:42:35 -0500
Dave H <thegenrlftw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello I'm stuck at a point and I really don't know what's wrong.  Here is
> my situation.
>
> Gathered from the list of All Packages list page 3.2, it states Autoconf
> (2.68) and M4 (1.4.16)
>
> So I downloaded, extracted, M4 (1.4.16) and did the following while in the
> directory "$LFS/sources/m4-1.4.16":
>
> ./configure        (as user lfs)
> make          (as user lfs)
> sudo make install (as root)

This is very wrong. In chapter 5 run make install as user lfs. If you
do it as root you run the risk of destroying your host system. Also,
root does not have the same environment variables set as the user lfs
so the commands will not be executed in the same way if they are run by
root.

> question: should /usr/local/bin be in my path variable for user lfs?

No

> currently $PATH=/tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin.
> question: should i be ./configure,make,make install all as root?

No. Do all of chapter 5 as the user lfs.

Andy