[lfs-support] LFS-7.0 Chapter 6.16. MPC-0.9 FYI

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 18 18:16:27 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:49:37PM -0500, Baho Utot wrote:

> I have been working on mpc.
>
> I have noticed that the way it is built in the book it only builds the static
> library.
>
> If --enable-shared is passed to configure it look like that is ignored as it
> still doesn't build the shared library.
>
> If autoreconf is run before doing the configure it builds the shared library
> as well.
>
> I expect gcc will links to mpc statically as per the book.

 I disagree with the first part.  I don't have the book open in front
of me (just shutting down, but this looked important enough to take a
look).

 I use ./configure --prefix=/usr and I also have 'unset CFLAGS'
before this because of the following comment:

# checking whether the gcc linker
# (/tools/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports
# shared libraries... ./configure: line 8413: : supported targets:.*
# elf: command not found  no
# http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/mpc-discuss/2011-February/000809.html
# and then
# http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/mpc-discuss/2011-February/000819.html

 From that, and with my buildscript functions to rename static libs
to .hidden and to note what now exists which is newer than when I
began to build the package (might not catch all the headers), I see
the following were installed:

/usr/include/mpc.h
/usr/lib/libmpc.a.hidden
/usr/lib/libmpc.la
/usr/lib/libmpc.so
/usr/lib/libmpc.so.2
/usr/lib/libmpc.so.2.0.0
/usr/share/info/dir
/usr/share/info/mpc.info

 For the second part, I don't know which parts of gcc are linked
against libmpc, so the fact that I can't see them in a quick look
with ldd doesn't unduly concern me.  If anyone has evidence either
for or against libmpc being linked statically in gcc, please share
it!

ĸen