[lfs-support] LFS-7.0 Chapter 6.16. MPC-0.9 FYI

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jan 19 09:20:25 PST 2012

On Thursday 19 January 2012 11:53:31 am Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:
> > I believe I may have found the problema
> >
> > When I build it with the following
> >
> > MAKEFLAGS="-j4"
> > CFLAGS="-march=i686 -mtune=i686 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
> > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
> > LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
> > export CFLAGS CXXFLAGS LDFLAGS MAKEFLAGS
>
> I thought we discouraged setting CFLAGS, but I don't see it now.
> Perhaps we need a caution in Ssction 4.4 -- Setting Up the Environment.

Perhaps,

Those FLAGS are from Gentoo "Safe Cflags" document.
Looks like the are not "safe" in all cases ;)

Anyway an autotools autoreconf fixes that, but I don't understand what it is
really fixing, other that to configure the environment to this particular
host.  Must be something in the configure script.  The only thing I found
missing when looking at the los form each build ( with cflags and without )
was this in the log without the cflags

yes CC=gcc -std=gnu99
CFLAGS=-march=i686 -mtune=i686 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

In the log with the cflags that line in not there and it also doesn't
have -std=gnu9 in the lines that call gcc.

Anyway unset CFLAGS fixes it.