[lfs-support] LFS-7.0 /dev/pts

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 15:06:44 PST 2012

Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:57:57 -0600
> Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It is mounted as
>> devpts         /dev/pts     devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0
>>
>> I suspect that /dev/pts should be created by udev, you might want to
>> comment that out of fstab to see if it is created and then try to mount
>> manually.
>
> No, udev doesn't create it. The mountpoint should be created by the
> mountfs bootscript. Just after where it says "Mounting remaining file
> systems..." add the line:
> mkdir /dev/{pts,shm}

/dev/shm is a symlink to /run/shm.  We create /run/shm in mountvirtfs
and link it in udev.  The no-error sequence there is:

if ! mountpoint /dev > /dev/null; then
          mount -n -t tmpfs tmpfs /dev -o mode=755
fi

ln -s /run/shm /dev/shm

I'll do some debugging to see if the mountpoint exists or not.  Note
that I am still using LFS 7.0 and not using the newer udev/devtmpfs.

What different is that I have /dev/pts created implicitly without
anything specific in the scripts.  I haven't heard of the problem Baho
has before.

There is no reference to /dev/pts in any of the scripts.

There are three places /dev/pts is mentioned in the book:

6.2. Preparing Virtual Kernel File Systems
8.2. Creating the /etc/fstab File
9.3. Rebooting the System

   -- Bruce