[lfs-support] looking for a "build buddy"

Matijn Woudt tijnema at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 12:23:14 PST 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Andrew Benton <b3nton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:00:20 -0800
> "Robert A. Lerche" <ral at msbit.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi.  I have previously built LFS and used the LFS Live CD project to
>> create a custom system (back in the 6.3 / 6.4 days).
>>
>> I am now engaged in a project for a client using Android on a custom
>> embedded system.  As you may know, Android uses the Linux kernel as a
>> base.
>>
>> Has anyone out there built Android completely from sources?  I'd
>> appreciate a chance to chat with someone familiar with setting up a
>> complete source build environment.
>
> As I understand it, Andriod is a custom java virtual machine that runs
> on top of a patched linux kernel. It has very little in common with LFS.
> They're completely different beasts.
>
> Andy

It's probably more related to CLFS, since it's all about cross
compiling for ARM, but after all the Android sources come with a
prepackaged ARM cross compiler, and (if everything is fine) it should
be somewhat similar to running ./setup.sh. If you have build an LFS
system before, you probably won't find it too difficult to compile
Android. The official docs are pretty good too btw.

Matijn