[lfs-support] LFS-7.0 with LVM

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 16:05:17 PST 2012

Baho Utot wrote:

> Am I correct in believeing that the root filesystem is mounted from
> the /etc/rc./init.d/mountfs script?

No.  It must be mounted in the initramfs or the kernel itself, usually
readonly.

> If so is it permissable to remove the part that mounts the root filesystem?
>
> Does LFS have to have the root file system in fstab?

I think it does, but I haven't started developing lvm for BLFS yet.
What I will do though is to get lvm working as a non-rootfs system first
and then work on initramfs for use as a rootfs.

As a comment, I don't really think having the root file system on LVM is
useful.  The really large systems are in places like /home or other
customized places.  A simple 10G (a trivial size for today's drives)
partition will take all of / with ease.  The larger partitions that may
need lvm can be mounted as a part of the booting process.

The only purpose of an initramfs is to mount the rootfs.  Unless you
need to do a network mount for a diskless system, it is unnecessary.

All the big distros use an initramfs, but that's because they have a
'one size fits all' mentality.  That's why we do LFS in the first place.

Sorry for the rant.

   -- Bruce