[lfs-support] Greetings and first two questions

rafe_b rafeb at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 30 16:31:44 PST 2012

Hello All -- just starting with LFS and learning a lot so far.

I have a couple of questions as I start the builds in Ch. 5.

1. many commands have file arguments with relative
paths, eg. the very first two commands in Sec. 5.5.1:

tar -jxf ../mpfr-3.1.0.tar.bz2
mv -v mpfr-3.1.0 mpfr

There's a Note in Sec. 5.3 that says I should be in the
'sources' directory but then the above commands
wouldn't be right.  So where should I be when I execute
these commands?

2. The issue in the previous item isn't insurmountable
in most cases, but it gets critical for the first 'patch'
command of Sec. 5.5.1, to wit:

patch -Np1 -i ../gcc-4.6.1-cross_compile-1.patch

Being a newb to the 'patch' utility, I have to guess
that the patchfile must be positioned properly relative
to the corresponding source files -- but in this case I
can't figure out which source directory they're in.
It could be one of {mpfr, gmp, mpc} or the parent
of these.  Again, where should I be when running
this patch command?

[There are two files being patched, but they
are not unique to any one of these three
directories -- 'configure' appears in all three,
and 'configure.ac' appears in two out of three.]

TIA -- /rafe_b