[lfs-support] Greetings and first two questions

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 30 19:13:57 PST 2012

The 'patch' command in the LFS book (Sec. 5.5.1)
immediately follows three un-tar operations where the
'root' directories of the three newly-created source trees
are renamed to mpfr, gmp, and mpc.

I understand that the patchfile (by virtue of its name)
has something to do with gcc.  But I can't relate that
to -any- of the three source trees that were just
created.

I still don't understand where I should be when I do
the indicated 'patch' command in this instance.  The
dir tree I have (just prior to the patch cmd) is

source
source/mpfr  // has configure, configure.ac
source/gmp  // has configure
source/mpc  // has configure, configure.ac

.... So it's not clear at all which of these
directories the patch is directed at.  What is
the clue that I'm missing?

/Rafe B.