[lfs-support] Greetings and first two questions

rafe_b rafeb at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 30 19:47:52 PST 2012

Hi Bruce, I'm trying desperately to understand.
I did read Sec. 5.3 carefully -- I printed it out and
read it prior to doing any builds -- but the subsequent
build steps don't seem to line up.  The tree that
I have is:

/mnt/lfs/sources     # (1) contains downloaded tarballs
/mnt/lfs/sources/mpfr  # (2) after un-tar and rename
/mnt/lfs/sources/gmp  # (3) after un-tar and rename
/mnt/lfs/sources/mpc  # (4) after un-tar and rename

Is that still wrong?  If so, how should it look?

Is the patch applied in each of the directories
(2) (3) and (4) ?

If I take Step 2 of Sec 5.3 literally, then the
first 'tar' command of Sec. 5.5.1 doesn't make
sense:

tar -jxf ../mpfr-3.1.0.tar.bz2

because it implies that the tarball sits in
a directory just above where I'm sitting
when the command is invoked.

/Rafe B.