[lfs-support] Greetings and first two questions

Firerat firer4t at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 30 20:33:24 PST 2012

On 31 January 2012 03:47, rafe_b <rafeb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Hi Bruce, I'm trying desperately to understand.
> I did read Sec. 5.3 carefully -- I printed it out and
> read it prior to doing any builds -- but the subsequent
> build steps don't seem to line up.  The tree that
> I have is:
>
> /mnt/lfs/sources     # (1) contains downloaded tarballs
> /mnt/lfs/sources/mpfr  # (2) after un-tar and rename
> /mnt/lfs/sources/gmp  # (3) after un-tar and rename
> /mnt/lfs/sources/mpc  # (4) after un-tar and rename
>

> Is that still wrong?  If so, how should it look?
>
> Is the patch applied in each of the directories
> (2) (3) and (4) ?
>
> If I take Step 2 of Sec 5.3 literally, then the
> first 'tar' command of Sec. 5.5.1 doesn't make
> sense:
>
> tar -jxf ../mpfr-3.1.0.tar.bz2
>
> because it implies that the tarball sits in
> a directory just above where I'm sitting
> when the command is invoked.

it is relatively simple

the book has this comment :
"Apply a patch that will allow the building of the libiberty and zlib
target libraries to be disabled as these do not build correctly in a
cross-compiled environment:

    patch -Np1 -i ../gcc-4.6.1-cross_compile-1.patch"

The patch is called gcc-4.6.1-cross_compile-1.patch
NOT mpfr-<version>-cross_compile-1.patch
NOT gmp-<version>-cross_compile-1.patch
NOT mpc-<version>-cross_compile-1.patch

IF the patch was to be applied to a subdir then you would have been
told to first change to that dir, you were not , so don't

if you want to over think it, then see the above book comment again
   "Apply a patch that will allow the building of the libiberty and
zlib target libraries to be disabled "

    Prepare GCC for compilation:
    ../gcc-4.6.2/configure \
    <snip>
    --disable-target-libiberty --disable-target-zlib \
    <snip>

notice that ../gcc-4.6.2/configure is not ../gcc-4.6.2/gmp/configure
OR ../gcc-4.6.2/gmp/configure OR ../gcc-4.6.2/mpc/configure

--
Firerat
Talented, Witty And Thoughtful .. is how most describe me.