[lfs-support] Greetings and first two questions

rafe_b rafeb at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 30 20:50:29 PST 2012

On 01/30/2012 11:33 PM, Firerat wrote:
> On 31 January 2012 03:47, rafe_b<rafeb at speakeasy.net>  wrote:
>> Hi Bruce, I'm trying desperately to understand.
>> I did read Sec. 5.3 carefully -- I printed it out and
>> read it prior to doing any builds -- but the subsequent
>> build steps don't seem to line up.  The tree that
>> I have is:
>>
>> /mnt/lfs/sources     # (1) contains downloaded tarballs
>> /mnt/lfs/sources/mpfr  # (2) after un-tar and rename
>> /mnt/lfs/sources/gmp  # (3) after un-tar and rename
>> /mnt/lfs/sources/mpc  # (4) after un-tar and rename
>>

>> Is that still wrong?  If so, how should it look?
>>
>> Is the patch applied in each of the directories
>> (2) (3) and (4) ?
>>
>> If I take Step 2 of Sec 5.3 literally, then the
>> first 'tar' command of Sec. 5.5.1 doesn't make
>> sense:
>>
>> tar -jxf ../mpfr-3.1.0.tar.bz2
>>
>> because it implies that the tarball sits in
>> a directory just above where I'm sitting
>> when the command is invoked.
>>
> it is relatively simple
>
> the book has this comment :
> "Apply a patch that will allow the building of the libiberty and zlib
> target libraries to be disabled as these do not build correctly in a
> cross-compiled environment:
>
>      patch -Np1 -i ../gcc-4.6.1-cross_compile-1.patch"
>
> The patch is called gcc-4.6.1-cross_compile-1.patch
> NOT mpfr-<version>-cross_compile-1.patch
> NOT gmp-<version>-cross_compile-1.patch
> NOT mpc-<version>-cross_compile-1.patch
>
> IF the patch was to be applied to a subdir then you would have been
> told to first change to that dir, you were not , so don't
>
> if you want to over think it, then see the above book comment again
>     "Apply a patch that will allow the building of the libiberty and
> zlib target libraries to be disabled "
>
>      Prepare GCC for compilation:
>      ../gcc-4.6.2/configure \
>      <snip>
>      --disable-target-libiberty --disable-target-zlib \
>      <snip>
>
> notice that ../gcc-4.6.2/configure is not ../gcc-4.6.2/gmp/configure
> OR ../gcc-4.6.2/gmp/configure OR ../gcc-4.6.2/mpc/configure

To Firerat and Alain and Bruce:  There is a major
discrepancy between the V.6.8 and V.7.0 LFS books
in Section 5.5.1.  I have been working from the
V.7.0 book.  From a private response from Bruce,
it occured to me to check the prior version of the book.

First off, the tarball versions are different, though
I got mine from the recommended sources in Sec. 3.
I had no reason to suspect that would be an issue,
but maybe it is.

Secondly, there was no 'gcc-4.x.x' directory
created from the three un-tar operations in my
case (from the V.7.0 LFS commands.)

Finally, in the V.6.8 LFS book, there is no mention
of a patch at all in Sec. 5.5.1!

/Rafe B.