[lfs-support] Greetings and first two questions

Firerat firer4t at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 30 21:21:54 PST 2012

On 31 January 2012 04:50, rafe_b <rafeb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> To Firerat and Alain and Bruce:  There is a major
> discrepancy between the V.6.8 and V.7.0 LFS books
> in Section 5.5.1.  I have been working from the
> V.7.0 book.  From a private response from Bruce,
> it occured to me to check the prior version of the book.
>
> First off, the tarball versions are different, though
I try not to worry about version numbers, I tag with gcc-<version>.

> I got mine from the recommended sources in Sec. 3.
> I had no reason to suspect that would be an issue,
> but maybe it is.
>
> Secondly, there was no 'gcc-4.x.x' directory
> created from the three un-tar operations in my
> case (from the V.7.0 LFS commands.)
No, that is correct,  but you missed the cryptic instruction in
section 5.3. General Compilation Instructions , explains that you need
to extract gcc, cd into then run the book commands
Although it does not do that very clearly, obvious to me and I'm sure
many others
BUT I'm certain it is not obvious to many others

the strange part is, you managed with binutils
I think people get confused when they see the tar commands in gcc, and
don't think to extract gcc

don't worry, you are not the first to get confused at this point

> Finally, in the V.6.8 LFS book, there is no mention
> of a patch at all in Sec. 5.5.1!
>

> /Rafe B.

I'm wondering if some re-wording, and verbose tar is worth considering

>To re-emphasize the build process:

>1 / Place all the sources and patches in a directory that will be accessible from the chroot environment such as /mnt/lfs/sources/. Do not put sources in /mnt/lfs/tools/.
>2 / Change to the sources directory.
>3 / For each package:
>a / Using the tar program, extract the package to be built. In Chapter 5, ensure you are the lfs user when extracting the package.
    < some wordy bit about finding the relevant tarball for the section >
    then an example
    for example:
    tar vxf example-1.2.3.tar.gz
    outputs:
     example-1.2.3/
     example-1.2.3/readme
>b / Change to the directory created when the package was extracted.
     for example:
     cd example-1.2.3/
>c /Follow the book's instructions for building the package.
>d /change back to the sources directory.
      cd ../
>e /Delete the extracted source directory and any <package>-build directories that were created in the build process unless instructed otherwise.
     rm -rf  example-1.2.3/

I know it all seems very basic , but obviously some are getting lost

--
Firerat
Talented, Witty And Thoughtful .. is how most describe me.