[lfs-support] Greetings and first two questions

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 30 23:06:43 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 22:47 -0500, rafe_b wrote:
> If I take Step 2 of Sec 5.3 literally, then the
> first 'tar' command of Sec. 5.5.1 doesn't make
> sense:
>
> tar -jxf ../mpfr-3.1.0.tar.bz2
>
> because it implies that the tarball sits in
> a directory just above where I'm sitting
> when the command is invoked.

And that's *exactly* where it should be, if you've followed those
instructions:

        1. Place all the sources and patches in a directory that will be
        accessible from the chroot environment such
        as /mnt/lfs/sources/. Do not put sources in /mnt/lfs/tools/.

        2. Change to the sources directory.

        3. For each package:
        a) Using the tar program, extract the package to be built. In
        Chapter 5, ensure you are the lfs user when extracting the
        package.
        b) Change to the directory created when the package was
        extracted.
        c) Follow the book's instructions for building the package.

You're building the GCC package, so according to 3a), you should extract
gcc-4.6.1.tar.bz2 into /mnt/lfs/sources. According to 3b), you should
then cd into the resulting directory, /mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-4.6.1. And
then according to 3c), you should run the commands on the GCC page,
which starts by extracting mpfr-3.1.0.tar.bz2 into the current directory
- i.e the /mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-4.6.1 directory.

Simon.