[lfs-support] Trouble changing dynamic linker in step 6.9

Dave H thegenrlftw at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 02:29:41 PST 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave H wrote:
>> hi yes the mailer is doing that.  i am cutting and pasting it from HTML.
>>
>> i was wondering if it was something from my cut and pasting too, but i
>> tried typing in those parts by hand and had the same problem.
>>
>> the page that i'm referring is at
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/glibc.html
>> . it is the first line of cut/paste code.
>
> Please don't top post.
>
> I guess I don't understand the line:
>
> bash: command substitution: line 47:
>
> line 47 of what?  If you are trying to automate this, then there is an
> error in your script.  If not, try typing the commands manually paying
> close attention to every character.  I know that this is hard.  It's a
> complicated section.
>
>   -- Bruce

Sorry for the top post.

As for the following line,
bash: command substitution: line 47:

This is what i receive when i attempt to set DL.  I'm not trying to
automate, just copying and pasting from the section 6.9 Glibc section.
Here is exactly what is entered:
root:/sources/glibc-2.14.1# DL=$(readelf -l /bin/sh | sed -n
's at .*interpret.*/tools\(.*\)]$@\1 at p')
bash: command substitution: line 53: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
bash: command substitution: line 53: `readelf -l /bin/sh | sed -n
's at .*interpret.*/tools\(.*\)]$@\1 at p')'

Also to note: the number increments by 1 every time the command is
issued, which is why it is 53 now in the example above.  (??)

However, if I take DL=$ out of the picture, i get
root:/sources/glibc-2.14.1# readelf -l /bin/sh | sed -n
's at .*interpret.*/tools\(.*\)]$@\1 at p'
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

So It seems I just cant set the variable DL

-best regards