[lfs-support] Greetings and first two questions

Qrux qrux.qed at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 13:15:10 PST 2012

On Jan 31, 2012, at 5:48 AM, rafe_b wrote:

> Please show me, in *either* book version (6.8 or 7.0)
> the step where I was supposed to untar the gcc
> tarball.
>
> I've been accused of not reading carefully enough,
> so please show me where I'm wrong.  I'm obviously
> not going to make progress on LFS until I figure this
> out.

Something else I just realized...Since, as Firerat pointed out, you must have built binutils to get to GCC, there must be some kind of other misunderstanding.  Maybe it's this:

In 5.5.1, where it starts to give you literal instructions:

	$ tar -jxf ../mpfr-3.1.0.tar.bz2
	$ mv -v mpfr-3.1.0 mpfr
	$ tar -jxf ../gmp-5.0.2.tar.bz2
	$ mv -v gmp-5.0.2 gmp
	$ tar -zxf ../mpc-0.9.tar.gz
	$ mv -v mpc-0.9 mpc

It's important to realize that the GENERAL COMPILATION directions in 5.3 DO NOT APPLY to each of mpfr, gmp, or mpc.  Section 5.5 is about GCC only, and the implicit directions in 5.3 apply ONLY for the GCC package.

Do not assume that you need to follow any implicit directions for "subpackages" once you are following the literal instructions in any particular package.

Do the implied step once for GCC (untar, descend into), and just follow the instructions in 5.5.1 explicitly (without further assumptions to take other implied actions) until you're done with 5.5.