[lfs-support] How to upgrade a single package?

JIA Pei jp4work at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 02:16:16 PST 2013

Hi, Chris:

I understand now.. The reason why I'm asking this question is because
yesterday I was preparing the tools in Chapter 5 using coreutils-8.19, but
today, the SVN manual has already been changed to coreutils-8.20 , however,
I still haven't finished chapter 6 yet...

But, I guess I got what you mean . I found release 7.2 which is also using
coreutils-8.19. I may be able to continue and finish building the whole
system first, before upgrading coreutils-8.19 to 8.20 ...

Cheers

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:

> On 01/03/2013 04:13 AM, JIA Pei wrote:
> >
> > Hi, all:
> >
> > sorry for my naive question again.
> > I now noticed coreutils has been upgraded from 8.19 to 8.20 . I'd love
> > to upgrade it without rebuilding everything from scratch, but just this
> > single package.
> >
> > I can always chroot into the environment required by chapter 6, but how
> > can I re-enter chapter 5 to prepare the tools coreutils using version
> > 8.20 rather than version 8.19 ?
>
> You can't even get a basic LFS system built right, you don't have any
> hope of successfully upgrading anything. Further, you've asked one
> question ("how to upgrade a package") that's answered in the FAQ, and
> another ("how to re-enter chroot") that's answered in the book itself.

Pei JIA

Email: jp4work at gmail.com
cell:    +1 604-362-5816

Welcome to Vision Open