[lfs-support] can't compile gcc pass 1

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sun Jan 6 23:50:46 PST 2013

On Sun, 2013-01-06 at 09:06 -0500, Roy Birk wrote:
> And I might have been better off copying and pasting. It's difficult to
> tell the difference, in the book, between the number one and the letter
> L (lower case). I checked man pages and went with whichever seemed more
> sensible, but got it wrong a couple of times with the -W1 option.

Oh yeah, misreading '1' and 'l' (and I) is classic. There's a reason a
lot of countries have restrictions on characters like those appearing on
car license plates.

But if it helps you remember it, the 'l' in -Wl stands for linker - it's
the mechanism for providing parameters that should be passed through to
the linker (which gcc invokes), not read by gcc itself. So for example,
passing "-Wl,--verbose" to gcc means that gcc will pass "--verbose" when
it runs ld.

Simon.