[lfs-support] Boot LFS from usb

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Mon Jan 7 16:25:06 PST 2013

On 01/07/2013 07:18 PM, Baho Utot wrote:
> I am trying to put LFS on a thumbdrive to use a rescue/fixit system.
>
> When I boot it can not find the usb drive and filesystem.  I have the
> correct filesystem built into the kernel, not as a module
>
> I am miising something in my kernel config.
> This system boots fine from a hard drive, just won't boot when I put it
> on a thumb drive
>
> Any one known what needs to be set in the kernel to allow booting from
> thumb drive?

You don't need to set anything in the kernel - it just takes some time
for it all to be loaded from USB, so you only need a delay. Add
"rootdelay=10" to the kernel line in your bootloader config (feel free
to adjust the number, could try lower if you want to see if it will work
with less delay, or higher if needed).