[lfs-support] swapfile

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 10 18:10:29 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 05:50:08PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:
> > LFS-7.2
> >
> > I added a swapfile as follows
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=2048 count - 1G
[...]
> The swap init script is run before mountfs.  The root fs is remounted rw
> in mountfs.
>
> Try moving the symlink /etc/rc.d/rcS.d/S20swap to S41swap, but I don't
> know it S30checkfs will cause a probllem or not.
>
>    -- Bruce

 Also, please take a look at the blfs-support archives from the
beginning of this month ('Configure makes empty makefiles') for an
illustration of how cheap solid-state storage will eventually fail.
I assume you are subscribed to that list, but if not I guess the
archives will be back when the server migration is complete.

 Note I'm not saying that the stick will fail at any predictable
time, only that it is far more likely to fail than a regular drive,
so you might want to minimise services or put them on a tmpfs.  That
obviously doesn't help for a swapfile, so if you use it for recovery
please ensure you also have another method available (or even a
second stick, I suppose).

 Meanwhile, good luck.

ĸen