[lfs-support] Russian

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 27 15:17:06 PST 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 09:13:11PM +0700, Дмитрий Соколов wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In LFS 7.2 can I use Russian messages and Russian keyboard?
> Or I need re-build LFS with some params?
> May be exists a “HOWTO” (not desired on Russian), if exist, give me link
> please.

 AFAICS it ought to support you.  Certainly we used to have a
russian developer.

 Probably, export LC_ALL=ru_RU.UTF-8 in your environment to get the
messages, and select the appropriate ru* map for your keyboard.

 If your host uses the kbd package you can use whichever map it uses,
or try the others in that host to see if they are better [ man
loadkeys ].  if you have a debian-based host using console-tools the
available keymaps might be different - in that case, after installing
kbd in LFS look at the available maps to see which fits your keyboard.

 See section 7.10, Configuring the Linux Console.

 You might also need to find an adequate font.  If you are using a
framebuffer (for 512 character fonts), and white on black, my own
LatGrkCyr fonts are in kbd : 12x22 (might work for black on white) or
8x16.  LatArCyrHeb and LatKaCyrHeb might be more to your taste, or
perhaps the koi8 fonts (I guess koi8u is unicode, others might need
'compatability' settings).  Variants on my 8x16 fonts are also in my
sigma-consolefonts package at lfs/~ken/ and I'm sure there are other
fonts which will be adequate for you.

ĸen