[lfs-support] wifi issues

David dlbarron at nc.rr.com
Mon May 5 04:40:47 PDT 2014

Yes, I had begun to suspect that enp134s0 was the wired connection.

For what it's worth the entry I have in /sys/class/net is enp134s0 which is a link that points to ../../devicespci0000:000000:00:1c.5/0000:86:00.0/net/enp134s0

I don't have lspci, it says command not found.  I assume it's part of a blfs package I haven't gotten too.

Is there any value to booting with the arch cd and looking at what is there?

On May 5, 2014 12:07 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> David wrote:
> > I'm hoping that someone can help me confi

gure the wifi in my laptop. > > I started with ArchLinux and I was able to get the wifi working > > without too much difficulty.  I was able to determine that the > > interface was wlp3s0 and using wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd I was able > > to get connected to both my home and work wifi. > > > > Not being smart enough to leave well enough alone I decided to try my > > hand at LFS and I've had nothing but trouble with the wifi.  First > > step is to issue the command "ip link set wlp3s0 up", at least it was > > on arch.  When I use the same command on lfs I'm getting "Cannot find > > device 'wlp3s0'" > > > > The "iwconfig" command shows 3 entries, lo, enp134s0 and sit0.  So I > > try "ip link set enp134s0 up" and I get errors: > > > > sky2 0000:86:00.0 enp134s0: enabling interface IPv6: > > ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): enp134s0: link is not ready > > > > I guess my question is, why is my interface different now and what > > should I do to find out what device I should use? > > I think getting wifi up is one of the more difficult tasks we have. > > I suspect you don't have the right driver for wifi.  Just guessing, but > I also think enp134s0 is the wired interface (don't you love udev).  We > can change that to eth0 if you want. > > You should have an entry in /sys/class/net for wifi0 or wlan0 for the > wireless.  Some cards also require firmware.  What does lspci|grep -i > net give? > > You can also try a commercial distro like mint or ubuntu and see what > their configuration shows you. > >    -- Bruce > -- > http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/listinfo/lfs-support > FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html > Unsubscribe: See the above information page