[lfs-support] wifi issues

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon May 5 17:19:51 PDT 2014

On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 04:53:15PM -0400, David wrote:
> I was able to get the pci tools installed and lspci tells me I have
> "Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection"  which is more information than I had before.
>
> I presume now that I have to rebuild the kernel to include a module for this device, if it has one.
>
> Any recommendation on what to do if it does not have one?

 Although some people think google no longer plays by its motto ("do
no evil"), it is still useful.  Search for linux shiloh wifi.

 For firmware, see the kernel configuration part of the xorg radeon
driver in BLFS [ also check the arch config, if you have it ].  You
might need to make a couple of attempts at reconfiguring the kernel
befoe it tells you the name of what it wants - from time to time
(for radeon) I've seen it mentioned during the boot messages, at
other times I've had to look at dmesg.  And from time to time you
may need to get newer firmware when you build newer kernels.  To
get the firmware, it is probably easiest to grab a linux firmware
tarball from a debian or ubuntu mirror - check what you need, then
look in their pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree directory. You can
find the cgit view of the linux-firmware project in google, but I've
never worked out how to actually _download_ from there.  You can
probably also find recent firmware in fedora's cgit [ see Going
Beyond BLFS in BLFS chapter 2 ].

ĸen