[lfs-support] GCC Pass 1

Jack Ditchburn jackplughd at gmail.com
Tue May 6 12:59:27 PDT 2014

Bruce,

Just a follow up question (previously mentioned to Ronnie):

how could the permissions for mpfr be different to mpc and gmp, because
those other two packages worked just fine?  The problem is only with mpfr.

Grrrrr! :-)

Jack

On 6 May 2014 22:38, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jack Ditchburn wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I hope everyone is well.
>>
>> Concerning the subject:
>>
>> I unpacked GCC-4.8.2 as user lfs and cd to the created directory.Then ran
>> the command concerning mpfr and got the following error:
>>
>> tar -Jxf ../mpfr-3.1.2.tar.xz
>> tar (child): ../mpfr-3.1.2.tar.xz: Cannot open: Permission denied
>> tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>> tar: Child returned status 2
>> tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>>
>> Looking in GCC-4.8.2 using ls, I could not see mpfr, although I could see
>> mpc and gmp.  So I deleted GCC directory and unpacked it again as lfs
>> user.  This time it did not create mpfr or mpc, but only gmp.  Have I got
>> broken download of GCC?  Do I need to delete the GCC tarball and
>> redownload
>> it?  Or is there another problem?
>>

> Sounds like permissions.
>
> $ ls -ld $LFS/sources
>
> If everything is not owned by user lfs, run
>
> $ sudo chmod -R lfs.lfs $LFS/sources
>
>   -- Bruce

*The dream is shatteredThe web site cannot be foundInside the spring rain.*

*First snow, then silence.This expensive server diesSo beautifully.*