[lfs-support] LFS 7.5 systemd version: no ethernet

Hazel Russman hazeldebian at googlemail.com
Sun May 11 10:19:33 PDT 2014

My LFS system boots successfully but so far I have no ethernet. The
driver (built into the kernel) is e1000e and dmesg shows that this
driver has registered itself. Some time later I can see:

Bringing up the eth0 interface....stty: standard input: inappropriate
ioctl for device.

Then, when systemd tries to assign the address to the interface in
ifup at .service, it reports that eth0 does not exist.

At first I thought it might have been given one of those new names
that have caused so much annoyance, but in that case the name should
show up in ifconfig and in sys/class/net. In fact both show lo only.
Also I cannot get an eth0 interface by masking the udev net-naming
rules file with a link of the same name to /dev/null in /etc/udev/rules.d.

This is the first time I have used systemd on this particular computer.